Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Journal #22

My teacher and I talk every day about food and recipes. Last Thursday we were talking about things that we really like to eat for breakfast. I could not help but to mention homemade cinnamon rolls. She asked me how to make them and I told her a guesstimated recipe. I decided that afternoon while I was on the internet at school to find a recipe that I could share with her. I found one in English not really thinking clearly about it until yesterday in class.

Chad was not feeling real great Tuesday morning and so I decided to lighten his load and carry the computer bag to school. When we arrived at school I just took the bag with me to class and when I got to my table I remembered that I had the recipe saved on the computer. I thought what a great activity for me and my teacher to do – I could translate the recipe into Spanish for her. We had a great time and I learned more vocabulary, and these are words that are part of my favorite hobby, cooking. Lucy, my teacher, wrote while I read the English and translated to Spanish. It only took us about 25 minutes. I did have to rely on my dictionary for some things.

We visited Hotel Casa Santo Domingo for dinner on Sunday night. Our friends that we have met while here, Holly, T.J., Blair, Brad, and we all went to eat because this past weekend was their last one here in Antigua. We wanted to celebrate with a nice meal. We all met outside of one of the Catholic Cathedrals and walked to the restaurant about 7 or 8 blocks away. Most of the day Sunday was cloudy, but not much rain, not until we were having dinner.

We had just sat down in the restaurant and the rain started. It was such a beautiful sound and it kept getting harder and harder as it fell on what I assume was somewhat of a tin roof. As we talked we kept noticing how we had to keep adjusting our voices to be heard over the rain. We left the restaurant at about 10:00 and the rain had stopped just a few minutes before. We had a lovely dinner and the atmosphere with the rain made for a perfect evening together. We then woke up Monday morning and it had turned winter over night. Not really but it sure felt like it all day on Monday. I was told that starting Monday the temperature would only get cooler from now until January. Yesterday however was an exception. It was freezing in the morning and all during class, but in the afternoon the sun was out bright and shiny and it was like a nice summer day. It was not too hot, but not to cold either. I walked to a little café to study with Blair and it was just the perfect day to walk around and enjoy the sun. While we studied a little rain storm came through and passed very quickly. When we were ready to leave the sun was out again and it was a great walk home.

We only have 7 more days of language school. I cannot believe how quickly the time here has gone so far, but we are ready to move on and get to work in Honduras. Please continue to pray for us as we finish up here in Antigua. Our brains are tired, but we have more to learn.

Shelly

No comments: