Monday, September 04, 2006

Journal #15

Monday, September 4, 2006

Shelly and I did not go to Nancy Moon Gonzalez’s house this weekend in Guatemala City. We sat in the coffeehouse where we were to meet her for an hour on Saturday before her husband, Manuel, showed up. He said that Nancy was really sick and that the weekend was not going to work out. We were able to talk to her on his cell phone. We had packed a suitcase (probably weighing 100 lbs.) for them to take to Gerardo Flores in Honduras when their youth group goes to Baxter in two weeks for a youth seminar. It will lessen our weight for our plane trip to Honduras at the end of the month. Manuel still took it which was a relief. We plan on visiting them next weekend.

It has been a rainy weekend. They say Antigua gets more rain in September than any of the other months combined. I believe it. It has rained and rained and rained. It is nice to hear the sound of the rain outside as our room is wide open to the breeze (and sounds of the day). The rain sounds so much better than the trucks, horns and dogs.

Today is Labor Day in the States. We do not have Labor Day in Antigua but there is a stirring in the city for Independence Day. Guatemala’s Independence Day is September 15th and the celebration has already begun. Decorations are going up around town and you can tell that the Guatemaltecos go all out for this. We have heard that the 15th is a day full of activities but you would think it is already here. The city is very busy right now.

We went to church on Sunday morning and for the first time, I really felt a part of the congregation. People recognize us now. You know that awkward time period when you first go to a new church and you are trying to feel everything out. I guess Shelly and I are past that now and settling in. They do not use songbooks at church but they have seen that we are not able to sing without the words because we do not know the songs. When we arrived on Sunday, the song leader instantly gave us a songbook to share and mentioned the numbers before they sang which they have not done before. It was comforting and encouraging.

I was thinking (and have been thinking) since Shelly was sick what a blessing it is to be part of a church that accepts you no matter where you are. God provides in mysterious ways! Can I be honest with you? It would be very easy for Shelly and me to not attend worship and Bible study each week. We hear many people say that they are “going to do their own” or that they are “going to seek out other alternatives” to worship. “Test the waters” to see what is out there. It made me start to think about what we would have done when Shelly was sick if we had never met Dr. Raul Duran. Would we have had to go to the hospital to get her checked out? In third world countries, that is a very scary thought.

It opened my eyes to see that God blesses His children who are faithful to Him. Does God hold back blessings in our lives because of our unfaithfulness? I believe so. You may not agree with me but it can be seen in the Bible. Shelly has gotten better physically because of a preacher/doctor who teaches at the Iglesia de Cristo in Antigua, Guatemala. The only one for that fact. What kind of coincidence is that? I don’t believe in coincidences alone, I believe in HOLY coincidences where God puts the right people in your path at the right time.

My last lesson at Berry’s Chapel was about how God has placed people in my life up to this point to steer me in the direction I am going today. God is not done though. He is continuing to put people in my life who I need at just the right time. Isn’t God powerful? God is working in our lives and He has the power and authority to provide us with every need which we may have if we are faithful to Him. It makes me think about my commitment level. What is yours?

Chad

No comments: