Thursday, December 06, 2007

The Right People at the Right Time

Baxter Institute (a Christian university in Tegucigalpa) is having their graduation on Saturday. They had groups of Americans start arriving yesterday and I traveled to Teg to pick up two men who wanted to see the projects of Mission Lazarus firsthand. Little did I know that it would be one of those great life moments. I did not know they men and had to have the President of Baxter introduce them to me. We rode for 3 hours to San Marcos getting to know each other.

We woke up this morning and left the house at 6:30 am to go to the ranch for my weekly devotional with the workers. I showed the men around the ranch and talked about what God was doing through Mission Lazarus. We then traveled back into San Marcos to see some more things and pick up their luggage from my house so they could travel back to Teg this afternoon.

I wanted to take them by Gloria's house to see her and her 7 children. Gloria is dying of congestive heart failure and they are some of the poorest of the poor in San Marcos. They have no running water, not bathroom facilities, no electricity and many times no food and live in house which is not even considered a shed. They are filthy dirty but have smiles on their faces all the time. I love this family and strive everyday to provide their basic necessities. While we were in the house, I asked if they had any food. THEY HAD NOTHING! Not even a crumb. One of the men caught onto it. He handed me $20 as we walked out the door and said to do whatever we could with it to help them out.

We immediately went to the grocery to purchase a $20 provision which is enough food for 2 weeks for this family. After we delivered the food to the house and the men realized that they had just helped this family beyond what we could ever imagine, we got into my truck and drove off. I told them that I strongly believed that God put them in that place at that time to help that family. These men came to Honduras for a graduation but felt compelled to visit San Marcos de Colon and was introduced to a family that needed their help at that very moment. I thanked them for being there and for providing and for making a difference in that family's life even though it may only be temporary.

The man in the back seat starting saying something in response and then got choked up. In a cracked voice he said, "We are the ones who are truly blessed. That family made a difference in me." Isn't it amazing how God works? He puts us in situations to be a blessing but transforms us through the process.

God was present today in a big way in my life. I am so grateful to have been in Gloria's house today and allow God to work in the lives of those two men. What a blessing! Be careful to not pass up what God might be asking you to do today. Thanks Thomas and Raymond for visiting!

Chad

No comments: