Monday, August 21, 2006

Journal #9

Monday, August 21, 2006

Saturday, we met Nancy (Moon) Gonzalez, Erin Keckley, and Jeanne White (Baxter’s President’s wife) for an early lunch. We enjoyed talking to them. Nancy used to work with Mission Lazarus in Honduras and now is living in Guatemala City working with a church with her husband. We are going to stay at their house in 2 weekends and get to know the work they are involved in. The rest of Saturday was taking it easy and studying. It was nice to not really have anything we had to do.

Above, we have included pictures of the Iglesia de Cristo in Antigua. They have recently purchased this building which is a converted house. There are rooms for classes for the children. They do a wonderful job of decorating with flowers in the “auditorium.”

On Sunday, we arrived at 9:00 am (which the sign indicates) but soon found out that services did not actually start until 9:30 am. I guess they plan for latecomers. Worship lasted from 9:30 until 11:30 am. I have a new outlook on Children’s Education though. I had the opportunity to work very closely with Berry’s Chapel’s Education Department and I really enjoyed it. I do have to pass on a thought to the Education Executive Team though. Imagine having children in class for 2 hours. That is exactly what happened on Sunday at the church. And it is a regular occurrence. For all those who complain about teaching for 30-45 minutes, what about 2 hours?

We had 3 others go with us to worship and we joined about 50 members of the church. It was encouraging to see that many worshipping in a city that is concentrated with Mayan Catholicism. God is working in the hearts of those people. There were 6 responses after the lesson in which each person stood and said what they were struggling with to the congregation. The lesson was based on it being our responsibility to teach our children the way of the Lord and the responses were based on opportunities each person had passed on or wanting to do a better job. It was encouraging.

Our friends and we went to a good little restaurant near the central park and had Sunday buffet. We had some good eggs, potatoes and onions, salads, quiche, and DESSERTS. I personally had 3 pieces of chocolate cake. It was a little dry but it tasted so good. The chocolate icing alone would have sufficed. Shelly and I spent the rest of the day studying and we were in bed early for a good night’s rest for the week ahead.

This week is when I am turning it up a notch and buckling down. I have not been slacking but it is time to step up and really practice my Spanish. We have told our family that we will speak no English this week. They love it! I plan on finishing book A this week and Shelly is having her test on book A tomorrow. Pray for her. It is written, oral, and listening. We will let you know what she thinks about it tomorrow.

It is great each day to see a new person email us. Many of you are enjoying those cold glasses of water which I appreciate. Mine is still lukewarm but I am becoming accustomed to it. I have to say that our weather here is incredible. Low 70’s in the morning and mid to upper 70’s in the afternoon and early evening. I will enjoy it for you.

Adios.
Chad

1 comment:

kentbrantly said...

Hola Chad y Shelly,
No se si me recuerdan, pero yo fui uno de los interns de misión lázaro esta verano. yo estudié en CSA en la primavera del año 2005. mi maestro se llama Julio.
pues, lo que quiero decirles es, Dios les bendiga a ustedes. yo tengo dos amigos de mi universidad que estan estudiando en CSA ahora - se llaman TJ y Holly McCloud. estoy seguro que ya les encontraron, pero si no, necessitan hacerlo. ellos estan preparando para dos años de trabajo en la Republica Dominicana.
pues, entonces, Dios les bendiga a ustedes alli en Guatemala y despues en Honduras.
-kent brantly <><

Hi Chad and Shelly,
I don't know if you remember me, but I was one of the interns with mission lazarus this summer. I studied at CSA in the spring of 2005. My teacher was named Julio.
Well, what I want to say to you is, God bless you. I have two friends from college who are studying at CSA right now - TJ and Holly McCloud. I'm sure you have already met them, but if not, you need to do so. They are preparing for two years of work in the Dominican Republic.
God bless you there in Guatemala and later in Honduras.
-kent brantly <><