Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Let the Groups Begin

Yesterday officially started our busy season. A group from Lipscomb University is the first group here as of yesterday and we have groups everyday until August 16th. My job is to keep up with them the whole time.

I picked them up at the airport yesterday and we loaded all the cars and I told them to wait for me to pull out of another parking lot to meet them and they follow me to San Marcos. We pulled out of the parking lot to find out that they were no where in sight. Where did they go? Did they decide to follow another white truck to who knows where? My heart sank. Luckily, they were forced out of the parking lot and turned the wrong way but had enough sense to come back to the airport after a few miles. Rule 1 - When lost, always return to your original place of departure. I only had to wait about 5 minutes before they returned. Did I say that they had no way to communicate also? It could have been a very bad situation.

After we reunited, we headed down the road about 10 minutes and one of the SUVs they rented stopped running right in the middle of the street. We pushed it over to the side and called the rental company to rescue us. I thought that we were doomed. How can you start your first group of the summer out like this within 15 minutes of their arrival? We waited about 45 minutes for a replacement vehicle and headed down the road again.

No more mishaps. We made it to the ranch within reasonable time and had supper, orientation, devo and then went to bed. They are working hard today. My goal this summer is to keep you informed of what is happening with all our groups...and their mishaps that only happen in Honduras...on our blog. Enjoy the stories. I just hope not all groups start out like this one.

Adios.
Chad

No comments: