Thursday, January 18, 2007

A birthday party to remember!




HAPPY BIRTHDAY DIANA!

Last night, we celebrated Diana's 13th birthday. The beginning of her teenage years. We had cake and ice cream and presents. She received some perfume and a new bike. All right...enough with the details. It sounds like a "normal" birthday, huh?

I have to say that it probably was the best birthday party I have ever been to because of who it was for. Diana is one of the Beltran children who Mission Lazarus has been taking care of since the middle of last year. Their father abandoned them after their mother's death. There are 6 children who God has put into our care. Last night's party was probably the first one Diana and her siblings have ever encountered.

To see the looks on their faces when Ally brought out a homemade chocolate cake with ice cream to go on the side was amazing. Have they ever had cake before? Had they ever celebrated any of their birthdays? You could tell they were a little overwhelmed but really did enjoy the party for Diana.

The Beltran children will be the first family to move to Mission Lazarus Refuge and I was thinking last night that that event will be one of many we have at the Refuge. I don't want a birthday to go by for any of our children at the Refuge without a delicious cake and love. I can only imagine what was going through their minds last night as they ate and ate and ate until their bellies were overwhelmed with sugar. That kind of birthday is what every child deserves and I want to make sure we give that to all of them.

I don't know when the next birthday is, but I am waiting eagerly. I want to see their faces get excited again and watch them slowly enjoy all that cake and ice cream. Nights like last night remind me of why Shelly and I are here.

Chad

No comments: